Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Senor Turista

So Angus wasn't the only one who got involved in the test of the train station tourism group's hospitality. Due to a shortage of people to fill the station hotel's rooms, I was invited along as well. I had to pay $5 for the privilege, but it was a good deal. I got a train trip worth $20, a couple of decent meals, and an overnight stay in a yet-to-be opened restored train station. That's a pretty good deal for $5.

It also made up for the morning I had with the fourth grade. Although I have been doing much better managing them for English class, I was asked to take them all day, and stupidly said yes. I'm not sure why this request came in. I suppose it had something to do with the arrival of the new 3,4,5 teacher, who came today. We sort of made it through English, but when I turned to math, things went to hell in a hurry. That's a long 5 hours.

So Angus and I rode in the back of a Francisco's pick up truck to Alausi, to take the train ride down to the station. As you'll see when I upload my pictures, the trains cars are beautiful restored cars with plenty of lacquered wood to look at. The trip from Alausi across Nariz del Diablo is spectacular, of course. These are the Andes we're talking about, some of the highest, steepest mountains in the world.

The notable thing about the Nariz del Diablo protion of the route is that there are no tunnels as the train drops down the mountain's face. Instead, there is a zig-zag series of switches that takes the train down grade, first forwards then backwards then forwards again, until it reaches the station.

When you reach the station, there is a troupe of folkloric dancers doing dances that none of them knew until they were taught. That is to say, the dances may be folkloric, but they are not something that would have sprung naturally out of Tolte without instruction. One of the Fredi guides is the lead dancer, so when the performance was over, he joined the other Fredi to lead a tour up to Tolte. I was in Mesias' passenger van with the other Fredi, who I thought did a reasonable job of coming up with things to say for the hour or so it took us to reach Tolte, stopping every so often for pictures. By the way, I took a few pics that I will share the next time I have internet access, I hope. I was concerned how Fredi would do, because Angus and I had coached him Sunday, and I think he was pretty good.

Dinner was good when we got back (starving) to the station. Narcisa (the one who's house I live in) had the lead on that, and it involved chicken stuffed with something, rice, and vegetables. There was also a tasty green soup, into which we sprinkled popcorn (not as weird as you might think.) Unfortunately, after dinner, the review meeting began, and there was much criticism from the railway people of the "producto" we were trying to sell the tourist--unsafe vista points, no clear destination in Tolte, etc., etc. I finally gave up in exhaustion at 11, but the meeting went on to something like 2:30 AM Still, some of what they wree complaining about was fair enough. and Angus and I came up with some good "product" ideas as we walked up to Tolte this morning. We didn't make it back in time for school, but I figure nobody worried about that too much, what with a new teacher to abuse. Product ideas include a night tour of the "pueblo abandonado," if we can make it safe enough to satisfy the railway people (who wanted a night entertainment to be part of the tourist package.)

I also got to miss a chunk of computer room time in the afternoon. One of the farmers came in and started asking about his fruit trees, and Angus agreed to cover the room while Daniel and I went down to take a look. It was like Peace Corps days for about an hour, as we tried to figure out what he ought to do. Daniel's plant pathology chops are much better than mine. But there will be panel discussions again on Friday, and Angus has left me in charge of representing AVANTI's opinion on agricultural production. After that, at Daniel's invitation, I'll spend the weekend getting to know Riobamba instead of going to Banos. Banos may be nicer, but I think it will be fun to check out the more ordinary city of Riobamba with local advice. It's only a 36 hour jaunt, anyway.

Maybe I'll have soe pics to show you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment