Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Living on the Edge

Thanks to all, especially James, for suggestions on classroom management. I've decided the first thing we need is a way to keep the door closed from the inside so the children aren't constantly running out of it. That would be a step in the right direction, even if it does sound a bit like imprisonment. You can't teach a fleeing child--though I don't necessarily dispute their instinct. Run, fly, be free!

Today I really toyed with death. There was a kind of fiesta today, thanking some section of the government for providing improved wheat seed. This occasioned much slaughter of chickens and quite a few guinea pigs. I missed the chicken peeling, but did get to see a guinea pig de-haired and cleaned. It brought back the happy days of ninth grade fetal pig dissection, without the nasty formaldehyde smell. Not long after, I was offered a plate of potatoes with what was clearly a guinea pig haunch (considered a major Andean delicacy (and perhaps a test of my commitment), It tastes a bits like dark meat of chicken, though it looks a bit less attractive.

Then, in helpful Dave mode, I offered to help an elderly neighbor and her grand=daughter haul sacks of sand. First of all, these sacks of sand were far heavier than anything I could lift. Second, once I had hoisted a sort of half sack, the place they needed it hauled to was down a frighteningly steep hill. The second load I carried was probably about a third of a sack. I got it down there, but not without slipping and sliding all the way. still, I didn't toally lose my footing. On the other hand, I did feel ridiculous. When the neighbor offered me "refresco," how could I refuse? We'll know by sometime this evening how many amoebas I consumed at the same time. But that humiliation I can bear in private. I am told that, generally, the water is safe, unless there is a pipe break somewhere. I should be a good gauge of the state of the plumbing.

I have to go open the Cuarto de Computacion. A large number of children are watching me type this, knowing that as soon as I am done they can play with Encarta.

No comments:

Post a Comment